3/14/18

Happy Pi Day!

Of course, I baked an Apple Pie for Two to honor the day. Did you think I wouldn't? Yeah, not on the diet, but that's okay.


Besides...I've come to realize that at our age, dieting is going to be an ongoing affair. The Cooking Light Diet gives me a road map to work from, but I'm always making sensible substitutions and taking a meal (or a dessert) off now and then. As long as we stick to it more days than not, we should be able to lose, and then maintain our weight. It's all big talk. We'll see if it works in practice.

While I was waiting for the pie to bake, I was working on my embroidery. Sadie was helping with all four paws. She really loves to help when I open up a new skein of floss and wind it onto its floss bobbin.


As I'm sure you can imagine, it all goes fabulously. And take a look at that picture. I'd say Miss Sadie is a Southpaw.

Also, I received some pictures from Mae back home. They received my swap postcard yesterday. Do you think this envelope gave it away?


So I asked them to open and unwrap it, and oh my goodness. How cute is this?!? Of course my prompt word was "Cat," if you hadn't guessed it already. My partner, Karen, made this little cat postcard for me.


Here's the message from the back.


That reference to the Wind Cave National Park warmed my soul because it was the first long RV trip Mike and I took when we purchased our first RV back in the early 2000's. We wanted to go some place we hadn't been before. I looked in a national parks book I had from a geology class taken at the community college level and found the Wind Cave in South Dakota. When people asked us where we were going on vacation, I can recall saying, well fasten your seatbelt because it's the most glamorous vacation ever: South Dakota! And, while I was speaking tongue in cheek, I really had no idea the treat that was in store for us.


It you've not heard of the Wind Cave, it's an interesting place. The image above shows the one natural entrance to the cave. It's open for touring, but through a man-made entrance built during the early 20th Century.

One of our most cherished memories from that trip was climbing to the top of this fire tower


and gazing out across the open prairie grasslands.


It was easy to imagine the early settlers crossing this vast expanse as they moved west.


This southwest corner of South Dakota is beautiful. If you've never been, it's well worth planning a trip to see it. You can also see Custer State Park and make some new friends.


We were newbie RVers then, and I had to get out of the truck and watch as Mike towed our RV (much smaller than the one we have now) through The Needles.


Also right nearby...Mt. Rushmore...you too can take the requisite selfie!


So, yeah, Karen. Thank you so much for the adorable postcard and for reminding me of the Wind Cave. It was a nice little trip down memory lane, and I completely agree...it's unforgettable.

The weather has been cold and drizzly again, although there's some clearing as I write this. My next move is to get dressed and go out for a walk. I took yesterday off, and so I want to get back at it again today.

Don't forget to eat a piece of pie today.


7 comments:

Shirley said...

I love your postcard!!! That cat pattern is the Cheddar Jack tutorial from Mama Sparks. It has eleven HST in each block. I made a wall-hanging with nine cats for my guild challenge of using HSTs. The tutorial is so perfect for any cat lover.

DeeDee said...

Happy Pi Day! Doodlebug and Olive would like Sadie to know that kitten control testers are very important when winding either floss or yarn, and extra help is needed when mamas are knitting on the couch. Careful observance is mandatory. Love your postcard. So cute!

Kaisievic said...

oooh, I made pie yesterday, too - Chicken pie, though. Lovely blog post - I would love to visit South Dakota some day.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Your pie looks so yummy! What a cute postcard and so you (but that's my Bella). Look at that cute couple in those memory photos. My helpers are getting fat and lazy with all this snow and cold.

piecefulwendy said...

I took the day off from walking yesterday too, so I'll join you this morning. Then I'm off to quilt. Having been raised in SDak, I remember Wind Cave and all the requisite spots from vacations. Those needles bring back memories! I still love my home state! Cute pic of Sadie, and your postcard is adorable!

Brown Family said...

Cute postcard!

Karen @runsewfun said...

So I'm writing up my blog post for the postcard blog hop and searching for your post about your visit to the museum and just spotted this. It is so fun to see that you've been to Wind Cave! It was 1994 when we were driving with our 2 young daughters to CO for a family reunion. We traveled by way of South Dakota so we could stop in DeSmet. I was dumbfounded by all that South Dakota had to offer. It was exciting to see where the Ingalls family settled. The badlands fascinated me! Mt Rushmore - not so much. Wind Cave was a happy accident. We needed to get out and stretch our legs and had been listening to a Tom Sawyer book-on-tape. When we saw a road sign for a cave it was an easy decision to stop. So glad we did. So glad to have taken you down memory lane, too!